Note: To connect to either VPN or the Secure portal you cannot use the campus network - you must connect from off campus. For more on secure portal, see How do I connect to Secure Portal?
Before you can connect to the College’s VPN, you will require the unique E-Grid Card PDF File that has been assigned and will be sent to your Algonquin College email address. The E-Grid card is an authenticator consisting of numbers and characters in a row-column format. Upon login to VPN, users are presented with a coordinate challenge and must respond with the information in the corresponding cells from the unique E-Grid they possess.
E-Grid Card authentication increases security by providing an additional factor in the authentication process to the VPN.
Please remember that the E-Grid Card PDF file is password protected and you will require the password to open the E-Grid PDF every time. In order to obtain your password for your E-Grid PDF, you will need to call 1-866-921-5763 Monday-Friday within the hours 8:00am-12:00pm and 1:00pm-4:00pm. Please ensure that you have your Employee ID number to confirm your identity.
How to connect to the VPN with Multi Factor Authentication
- Launch the CISCO AnyConnect VPN Client and select connect (secure.algonquincollege.com)
- Log in with your username and password. Note: Leave the Second Password box blank…
A second window will now appear and this is where you will now need to use your Entrust Grid Card for authentication purposes
- Click OK
Example of Authentication with an Entrust Grid Card
4. With the above example, the Grid Challenge presents the user with coordinates such as E1
, and H5
- Use the letter (column) and number (row) combination on the E-Grid Card to locate the characters requested in the challenge and enter them in the screen
Validate if connection to VPN is successful:
- User must enter the required coordinate’s (D6H) and select continue with this connection to VPN will be establish
7. If connection to the VPN is successful, there will be the following icon in the bottom right hand corner with a lock.
For help installing and configuring VPN, see: