The ITS Service Desk can help you with applications on your laptop if you bring it in. However, you need to keep the following in mind:
- If it is not college software, ITS staff will not be familiar with it. This will limit what they can do to help you. In the future fill out the software request form for faculty on the ITS website to have your software officially installed and supported by ITS.
- If it is college software on a college laptop, they can perform more in-depth troubleshooting.
- The Service Desk staff will normally coach you so you can learn how to troubleshoot the software. This is the case especially for long procedures such as re-installing software.
- Service Desk staff can spend a maximum of 15 minutes "best effort" on non-college software and hardware issues.
Alternatives to the service desk include:
- Check the ITS Help Centre online for solutions. You can also submit a support case from here.
- Check the support website and forums for the company who makes your software. It is likely that someone else has encountered your problem before, and these can be great resources to find a solution.
- Check Lynda.com for tutorials on your application. For help, see What is Lynda.com?
- Pay for assistance at a computer retail store such as the New Technology Store.