Your N drive may also be referred to as your network drive, network share, shared drive, or shared storage. These steps will also work for other shared drives hosted by Algonquin College, if you know the address.
Note: If you are connecting from home or off-campus, you need a secure VPN connection before completing these steps. For more information, see How do I connect to VPN?
To connect to your N drive in Windows
Note: You must have a successful connection to the College network before attempting these steps.
- Go to your start menu.
- Right-click Computer, and choose Map Network Drive.
- Enter the following information and select Finish.
- Drive – N:
- Folder -
- If you are staff enter \\algshare\staff$\<username> - replace <username> with your college network username
- If you are a student enter \\algshare\students$\<first-initial-of-last-name>\<username> - for example, if your username is smit0123 you would enter \\algshare\students$\s\smit0123
- Reconnect at logon – selected
- Connect using different credentials – selected
- You will be prompted for your logon details and be sure to put woodroffe\ in front of your username as shown below. Be sure to check Remember my credentials.
Note: Depending on your version of Windows, the above screens may look slightly different.
To connect to your N drive in MacOS
You must have a successful connection to the College network before attempting these steps.
- Click on Go and select Connect to Server.
- The Connect to Server box will open.
- Under Server Address:,
- If you are staff, type in smb://algshare/staff$/<username> - replace <username> with your college network username
- If you are a student, type in smb://algshare/<first-initial-of-last-name>/students$/<username> . For example if your username is smit0123, you would type smb://algshare/s/students$/smith0123
- Click on Connect.You will be prompted to enter your Algonquin username and password.
- In the Workgroup or Domain field, type in Woodroffe .
- In the Name field, enter your Algonquin network username.
- In the Password field, enter your Algonquin network password.
- Click on OK.
Your N drive window should automatically come up, if not, click Go
and then select Home
, beside the Network icon (it looks like a house). Problems connecting -
If you have problems connecting or get errors when trying to connect and you have entered the information here correctly, it is likely a personal firewall on your computer that is preventing the connection. ITS does not troubleshoot personal firewalls - if you need assistance with this contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) for assistance.Note:
If you are connecting from home or off-campus, you need a secure VPN connection before completing these steps. For more information, see How do I connect to VPN?
If you need to access your N drive backups, see How do I access my N drive backups?