Note: To connect to either VPN or the Secure portal you cannot use the campus network.
How to connect to VPN on a Mac
The easiest method to connect to the college VPN is to install the Cisco AnyConnect client via the Algonquin College Secure Portal website. For more information, see How do I install Cisco AnyConnect?
Note: ITS supports the AnyConnect VPN client. Other methods are not supported.
Alternatively, you can use Apple's built-in IPsec client following the steps below.
To setup VPN manually using Apple's built-in IPsec client
- In the top left corner of your screen, click the Apple icon and then click System Preferences.
- In System Preferences, click the Network icon.
- Under Network Settings, select the + symbol to create a new connection.
- From the Interface menu, choose VPN.
- From the VPN Type menu, select Cisco IPSec.
- The Service Name can be anything of your choice. Enter a name you can easily identify as your Algonquin VPN connection, such as Algonquin VPN. This will add a new device to your Network List.
- In the right window, enter the following information:
- Service Address – Enter secure.algonquincollege.com.
- Account Name – Enter your network account ID – this is the username you use to log into Blackboard and your college e-mail. For example if your name is Pat Smith it might be smit0123. If you are staff, it might be smithp.
- Password – Enter your network account password
- Optionally, check the Show VPN status in menu bar checkbox to have quicker access to connect to the VPN via an additional icon in the Mac menu bar.
- Select Authentication Settings.
- Ensure the button for Shared Secret is selected, and beside it enter VPNGroup1.
- For Group Name, enter VPNGroup1.
- Select OK. This will return you to the previous screen.
- Confirm your information is correct and select Connect. This will open the VPN Connection window.
- Enter your username and password, then select OK.
Once the VPN connection has been established, the network connection Algonquin VPN will show Connected and a padlock symbol for the secure connection. When you have completed your work, select Disconnect
below Authentication Settings.
You have successfully configured your VPN connection on your Mac computer.Note:
These steps were tested on a Macbook running Mac OS X 10.6.4.