When you visit the ITS Service Desk (How to contact ITS
), there are a couple important things to keep in mind that will make your experience more enjoyable and speed things up.
- Ensure that you have done your backups before ITS works on your computer. ITS cannot accept responsibility for any of your information. (college assets only)
- Ensure you do not have disk encryption (such as BitLocker) in use on your laptop. If you do, please remove it and put it back after the work is done. (college assets only) For help see, What is Windows BitLocker?
- It is your responsibility to ensure that your information is safe.
- If you are leaving a laptop with ITS, do not leave your laptop bag or power adapter cord. (college assets only)
- Ensure that you have the computer training you need to do your work. A computer is a tool – the more training you have in using it, the more effective you will be.
Please take a number
When you arrive at the ITS Service Desk on Woodroffe campus, please take a number from the dispenser located by the door. Wait for your number to be called before going up to the desk to be served. While waiting, there is a sign indicating the number that is now being served. See below for images of both the dispenser and the sign.
|ITS Service Desk Number Dispenser by the door||ITS Service Desk Now Serving sign|
We know that computer problems can be frustrating, however we ask for your patience and understanding as we do our best to help you. Any abusive or aggressive behaviour by staff or students will be immediately dealt with by ITS, the individual’s department, security and/or police. There is a zero tolerance policy on anything except courteous and respectful behaviour by all parties.
The Algonquin College ITS Client Care Group serves the technical needs of the students and staff of Algonquin College. We would love to to solve all of your problems, but we simply do not have enough resources. When we can help, we are limited in the amount of time we can spend on any one issue. However, if we can not help you, we can probably point you in the right direction.
Here is a good list of the things that we can and can’t help you with. This list is not exhaustive. For things that we cannot do at the service desk, see - What are the prices for ITS tech services?
What we can do:
- Help you with college account problems.
- Help you get a connection to our network from off-campus.
- Help you with college printer issues.
- Answer many of your IT questions and offer some coaching for your college computing needs.
- Restore your data which was recently on your college network drive or server (usually within two weeks).
- We can make a Best Effort on computers not owned by the college.
- College owned hardware: Help you with most hardware, software or networking problems.
- College owned hardware: Help upgrade your hardware if it is below the basic college standard (Evergreening).
- College owned hardware: Install legally licensed software.
- College owned hardware: Assist with computer security and dealing with malware.
- Offer you friendly smiling service to the best of our ability.
What we can’t do:
- Teach you applications and their features.
- Install non-legal copies of software.
- Help you with your homework.
- Backup data on your personal, college owned or other computing device.
- Support your personally owned computing device (except to connect to the college network or install college software).
- Support your game console.
- Send a technician to your home or residence room.
- Reset your password without positive identification.
- Burn CDs to copy software or other copyrighted material.
- Fix your BYOD laptop hardware problems.
For the issues ITS cannot help you with, there are often alternative services available - What are the prices for ITS tech services?